Sunday, October 05, 2008

Round 2: Third Place...Again

We were third place overall again. Hey I think we should get something for that but alas no. We did do a few things that were noteworthy though. First, our wonderful drum major won! I am very proud of her and she always does what I ask. She is top notch and only a junior. I am happy for her and I hope she is proud of herself too. We also won the percussion caption. This is a surprise in that Mr. Apple has been out all week with kidney stones. Congratulations to them! Now the not so good stuff. We were third in our class and third overall. We did compete in the top division though and I have to say when I heard them announce the band in Class 5A I felt a bit weird. It was my first time in that division. I have been the head director at every division. 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and now 5A. That should be worth something too. I guess I feel kind of bad for the kids because we could have competed in 3A or 4A due our smaller hornline size of 62 but that would not have been right. We would have won those classes, but that was not for us. If we are to take our place at the top with the best bands in SC, we have to compete at their level.
I am very proud of my students, staff, and boosters. We did it all the right way today. Perhaps we fell a bit short but in reality we did all our way. One judge said we seemed to be really pumped up for the show and maybe too much. I disagree. We were a Brady band. We were in your face. We were aggressive and maybe most of all, we were ourselves. We now have a style and it is good. I hope we get to hear our name last soon but if not that is ok too. It is truly the journey that is the fun part.
Congratulations to you Dutch Fork for yet again making me so proud to be your director. If you keep doing what you are doing, I promise you will get the rewards you seek. I promise!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Pollard Hoogenboom said...

I am very proud of you all. While watching Mr. Brady and the students in warmup I got chill bumps. The sound was amazing. I knew that you were going to have a fabulous performance. And that you did.....the best performace so far! I am also very proud that you did compete in 5A. I believe its worth going against the bigger bands now in order to get the critique you need to compete with them later. Just keep working hard. A lot of other shows don't have much more they can do....your show is so "complex" that there is still alot of room for growth. Again, I am very very proud of you all! BEAUTIFUL PERFORMANCE AND GREAT JOB!!!!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I don't think the kids even cared if they came in second or third. They knew they could not beat summerville. But what I saw and what they saw was what they were looking for. Mr. B's approval of the performance. Many told me that they looked at his reaction at the end of the performance and saw him smile so big that that was the trophy for many of the kids. I thought it was the performace best so far and still room for cleaning. It still gets me that we SOUND so much better than last year. It is a reality to me that yes we can play with the big dogs, but the kids have got to do the work. Again thank you Mr. B for your commitment to our band...you to Cindy. We love you both!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jon Brady said...

Deletion of some commments.

I chose to delete some comments that included peoples names for just that reason. You can post anything you like about me but don't post things about other people please.

For the record, I was congratulating the percussion section for holding things together with out an individual instructor this past week. Please don't try to read things in to what I write. Myself or somebody else will call you on it everytime.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jon Brady said...

Pat,

I thought we could beat Summerville! They are a great program but we are on our way.

Jon

3:29 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Mr. B, Before Saturday i didn't think we could. After the performance and seeing the scores, I think we can beat summerville. I never thought I would even be saying that in one sentence. WOW!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY Mr. Brady!
Its Ashley Crone from Swansea. I seen your bands show on video and i was so amazed! It was really good like i didnt want to close my eyes. Everything is fine down here in redneckville lol jk. We r getting better, but at a slow pace. We had our first compe. on the 4th we finished 2nd in our division. And got a highe rating. Yea and sliver bluff of course won 1st. But just wanted to let you know that we all miss u and there isnt a day that goes by when us ( colorguard ) tells one of your brady momments. We cnt stop laughing. Well hope to see you soon!- Ashley

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home