Sunday, December 02, 2007

Parade Time!

You know when I was a younger band director I use to loathe parades. I thought they took time away from more important things like teaching and learning competition things and stuff like that. I have to say that the more experienced I get (that is a graceful way saying "I am getting older!") I find the usefulness in parades for a lot reasons. One thing about having a good band is that you really don't need to practice for parades. We spent absolutely no after school time to prepare for today's parade and I did hear any complaints. Parades are often the only time some people in the community ever get to see and hear the band. They also let the band be the star of the day. What would the Christmas parade be with out the band? Not much. We were actually in the number one spot today to make it even better. Small town parades are, in my opinion, the only way to go. Not that I would turn away an invitation to Macy's Day. Now I do have to admit I wish that parades were on work days so I would not have to miss time away from home but that is just part of being a band director. I have to say though I saw a pleasant surprise tonight when I returned home...Cindy had put up the Christmas tree in our front window. It was nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home